Thursday, December 20, 2007

Dec 14th to 20th - San Carlos

Dec 14th - Fri - San Carlos
Yes, I am several days behind in the blog!!!
Terry & I rode our bicycles to a nearby bakery for cinnamon rolls this morning which we shared with Rick & Pat.
We aired up our kayaks and the whole group headed out from some paddling. It was lovely. The water is so clear and there was only a slight breeze. We paddled across a small bay, through a narrow passage and then back around into the bay. There are lots of pelicans here and there were a couple of rock outcroppings with many birds. They usually just watched us go by.
We rode with Rick & Pat and Rick wanted to look for other places to launch kayaks. We ended up on a very narrow, bumpy road along another bay with steep drops into the water - won’t be going there to launch kayaks.

Dec 15th - Sat - San Carlos
Terry took me to the dentist for a 9:30 appointment to re-prep my tooth for the crown. The dentist gave me the Novocain very slowly this time so it did not hurt like the first time. And then I toughed out some discomfort (pain!!) so he wouldn’t have to give me more!
Terry took a card for Dean to a restaurant where US mail is taken to be mailed in the states while I started some laundry. On his way back, Terry saw Dave & Margo heading into Charlie’s Rock for a beer so we went and joined them. Charlie’s Rock has tables & bar stools facing the ocean on the outside wall. There is no glass in the openings and the restaurant is on a small bluff above the ocean so the view is wonderful.

Dec 16th - Sun - San Carlos
We took 2 rigs and all 8 of our group to the Sunday “market” in Empalme this morning. Empalme is about ½ hour from here. Some streets are closed and packed with vendors and people. A lot of “garage sale” stuff, lots of prepared food and quite a bit of fruit/vegetable/meat stands. Total purchases - Geri bought one small wine glass and Pat bought cotton candy - and ate it all by herself!
We stopped at an eatery in Guaymas for a beer and crab tostadas for lunch. Rick led us on a sightseeing tour of Guaymas and ended up at a statue with viewing platforms on a hill above the city.

Dec 17th - Mon - San Carlos
I went to Spanish lessons this morning while Terry did some chores.
When Terry woke up this morning he mentioned that he must have slept wrong as his neck was stiff. Well, it got really bad and he started getting muscle spasms that would almost bring him to his knees. Pat massaged his neck & shoulder with a heating rub and it felt better - but just long enough to go for a walk with Rick & Pat. Geri then contributed some pain pills and Rick added an ice pack. Terry got through a wonderful shared dinner with Pat’s seafood lasagna being the star dish and then I put him to bed.

Dec 18th - Tues - San Carlos
Slept late this morning and Terry’s neck is all better! But now my stomach is upset. Intermittent pains but no other typical symptoms - that we all hope not to get - until late tonight.
Dave & Margo, Bill & Geri and we took our kayaks to the estuary this morning. But we didn’t get too far out and Terry & I were hitting bottom. Terry pushed his kayak further than I did and ended up getting out and pulling his kayak back to deeper water. Dave & Margo and we went searching for another place to launch but didn’t find anywhere.
After lunch I helped Margo set up a blog. At 3:00 we went golfing - Rick, Terry & Craig and Pat, Bill & I. It was a beautiful day.
Dave, Margo & Geri went to a place called Froggy’s at 4:30 to save tables for all of us so we could take advantage of the 2 for 1 pizza night. Won’t do that again - the pizza left a lot to be desired.

Dec 19th - Wed - San Carlos
I helped Rick install some fixes for his virus protection program on his computer before they joined us for another trip to Guaymas and the dentist. Before my appointment we found a bicycle shop for some new brake pads and checked out the Woolworth’s store.
Would you believe that my crown was not delivered to the dentist?! The lab had some problems and the dentist tried to figure out how to get hold of me but as we don’t have a phone that is hard. I had forgotten to tell them where we are staying as the office will get messages to residents if necessary. Made another appointment for tomorrow.
We sort of got lost in Guaymas and saw a lot of the town that we had previously not seen on our way to Sorriana’s grocery store.
My stomach was still bothering me so I read until it was time to go to the cooking class. She gave us a recipe for Picadillo which is a ground meat dish. Pat & I both had baby back ribs to cook for dinner so we got together at their place for dinner. I ate part of my dinner and headed back to our rig as I was not feeling well. I just finished reading a book when I sent my dinner to the sewer. Terry came back when he saw I was no longer in the recliner and we crawled into bed just after 7 and watched TV and I dozed.

Dec 20th - Thurs - San Carlos
To the dentist at 9:00 and the crown finally fit! I am going to get some more dental work done but not until next year.
We stopped at the grocery store (Ley) in Guaymas on the way back and bought a small turkey for a group Christmas dinner. Then we stopped at Barracuda Bob’s, a cafĂ© beside the laundromat, for a breakfast burrito.
I am still recovering from my intestinal disorder so I did some light cleaning while Terry & Pat took the metal detectors to a beach. They found lots of pull-tabs and pop cans but nothing of value or interest.
Steve & Linda from Boise arrived this afternoon with another couple that we have not met yet.
No Happy Hour tonight which is just as well as I might be tempted to have a drink which would probably not make my stomach feel any better.

No comments: