Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Feb 15th to 17th - Foley AL

Feb 15th - Sun - Foley
It rained last night but cleared mid morning. Terry cleaned some nasty black streaks off the front of the 5th wheel and cleaned the truck while I did some stuff on the computer and a little cleaning. I found a branch in the bushes, fastened it to our front stabilizer and hung our Mardi Gras beads. Not sure what else to do with them!
We made a quick grocery run and our Chewelah neighbors (Bob & Karen) were sitting out when we got back so we went and chatted with them for a while. We split for dinner and I asked them to come over afterwards. We ended up talking nonstop until nearly 11. It turns out that Karen worked in a hospital with the wife (Diane) of the guy (Marv) who took us fishing in Alaska. Not only is this another amazing “small world” coincidence but the fact that the conversation happened to lead us to this discovery is incredible.

Feb 16th - Mon - Foley
There is a little laundry room here with 2 washers & 3 dryers. To use them, you reserve a 2 hour slot and pay $7 to use the machines for as many loads as you can do in that time. So I did laundry today from 11 to 1. I was able to start a bit early and my last dryer load overlapped with the next person so did 5 loads.
Then we loaded an empty propane tank and found the Ace Hardware recommended by a neighbor. Drove through a huge outlet mall but didn’t find anything that we had to look at. A little more sightseeing and then we stopped at Lambert’s for an early dinner.
Lambert’s is “the home of the throwed rolls”. A server walks around with a tray of freshly baked, warm, large dinner rolls and throws them to whoever wants one. Just put your hand up and he will accurately throw a roll from near or across the room. Items on the menu are served with 2 vegetable sides (a wide selection to choose from) and then there are “pass arounds”. Servers constantly go around with fried potatoes & onions, deep fried okra, black eyed peas, macaroni & tomatoes and apple butter & molasses for the rolls. You can munch on deep fried okra and rolls while you decide what to order and the other pass arounds are placed on your plate - as much as you can eat. Take home boxes are automatically provided. Terry had a hamburger steak that I swear was close to a pound of meat so a good portion of it is in the fridge for lunch.
Shortly after we got back, a neighbor delivered some fresh shrimp that I had ordered - 4 pounds for $20. So I had to clean them and freeze some.
I have been moving pictures on the computer to make them easier to find and figured I was past due to back them up. I spent too long trying to get it to work and finally found on an internet Picasa forum that there was a problem with the program. I had to uninstall Picasa, remove a file and reinstall Picasa from the internet. Then I finally got my backup done.

Feb 17th - Tues - Foley
A hair stylist comes to the park on Tuesdays so I took advantage of it to get an overdue haircut. While I was getting my hair cut, Terry decided it was nice enough to play golf so he went and got our clubs. Then I had to send him back to exchange my Crocs for shoes more suitable for golf. So as soon as my cut was done, we hit the golf course. It was pretty busy but we didn’t have to wait too long on any hole. We were a couple of holes into our 3rd round and Terry hit a bad shot just as Billy & Lauri drove in so we decided to quit.
Lauri also needed a haircut so I went up with her and worked on a jigsaw puzzle while she was getting her ears lowered. I had asked Billy & Lauri for dinner and none of us had had lunch so we decided to have an early dinner. Didn’t take me long to make shrimp & mushroom fettuccine, cabbage & apple slaw and garlic toast.
After dishes were done, we all got in our truck so we could show them around the area a bit - Foley, Corelle store at the outlet mall and Gulf Shores. We all figured it was long enough since lunch/dinner that we would enjoy ice cream so we drove miles before finally finding a place and having dessert.

No comments: