Thursday, December 02, 2010

Nov 29th to Dec 1st - Mesa

Nov 29th – Mon – Mesa
We wimped out of the bike ride this morning as it was too cold and Terry never did look at his front tire as it didn’t go flat again after pumping it up the second time last Monday.
Rather than going to the gym, I went back to help with the park decorating. This time I worked inside, a lot of the time with Gloria. We had to “fluff” the wreaths & garlands that were stored – make that stuffed - in boxes. Then I helped another lady hang wreaths. I offered to climb the ladder but since she was only 72 years old she said she could do it – and I didn’t really want to put nails in the walls. We even got lunch from McDonalds.
Terry came by later and heard that garlands needed to be taken to the sales office so he got the truck, we loaded the garlands and 3 other helpers and made short work of decorating the railings. There was pizza at 4 for all volunteers who helped decorate so we decided that we just had time for a drink with Dennis & Gloria at our place first. Gary & Diane also joined us and we ended up not going for pizza since we had lunch about 1 and another drink sounded like a better idea. We had all moved inside when Ernie & Diane came by with a bottle of Scotch to thank Terry for moving their TV & cabinet. Of course, they had to stay for a drink too.

Nov 30th – Tues – Mesa
I was glad that we skipped the bike ride yesterday when my hands were freezing riding my bike the short distance to the gym this morning. Our wonderful, necessary ice maker died yesterday. Terry tore it apart and found a cracked plastic part that would not stay glued so off we went to a Target store to get a new one. It seems as if the largest cubes are not as large as the old ones (same brand) so it may have to be exchanged.
We went to the courtyard to listen to music, came back for dinner and then went to line dancing lessons.

Dec 1st – Wed – Mesa
I got up early this morning to line up to get tickets for the New Year’s Eve party and 2 dances this month. I think I mentioned before that the ballroom is small and tables are assigned for dances so to guarantee a group together at a table, you have to get tickets early when they go on sale the first work day of the month. Terry got a dozen doughnuts, joined me a bit later and shared the doughnuts with others in line. The activity director had a little drawing for people in line and Terry won one ticket for a pancake breakfast this month. Guess I will have to buy my own!
We played bocce ball at 10. Terry, I, Ernie & Diane were on one court so Ernie & I played Terry & Diane and we lost both games. But who cares as the sun was out & it was warm again! After lunch, we went to Big Lots for a few garlands to decorate our home.
Then it was off to the courtyard for more music from 2 to 4. This time, the singer was a woman – April Walker – and she was really good.
From there, Terry & I, Ernie & Diane and Dennis & Gloria went to Fat Willy’s for their happy hour specials – beer & appetizers which were our dinner. We figured this was a good idea as we were all playing bunko at 6:15 so we had to eat early. We just had time to see Ernie & Diane’s park model before reporting to the card room.
There were 19 people at bunko so we had to play with a “ghost” player (the ghost’s partner rolls twice). It costs $5 each to play. Terry split most bunkos to win $16 and I got most losses (!!) which paid $8. Another fun, busy day!

No comments: