Saturday, February 02, 2008

Jan 30th to Feb 2nd - San Carlos

Jan 30th - Wed - San Carlos
Terry “sweated out” some of his “not feeling well’ last night so I got to start the day by washing sheets again. Lovely sunny day with a slight breeze so they dry quickly on the line. It was Rick’s turn at the dentist today so Pat, Terry & I went for a short bicycle ride to a grocery store.
Geri did not forget about dinner yesterday. She went to tell Rick and he was napping so she left a note stuck on the door and it must have blown away!
A shoe-shine guy came around the park today - an old man with a very built up shoe to compensate for a shorter leg. He sat on part of the box holding his supplies to shine shoes - not while they were on your feet. Pat, I and our neighbor all had a pair done so he did one step on a pair and then worked on another pair while the first one dried. Did a great job for 15 pesos plus a 5 peso tip, roughly $2.
We played golf in the afternoon, got together for a drink and a shared dinner and then a game of Canasta. The internet was still up when Rick & Pat left after cards so I enjoyed a nice talk with Georgia in Spokane and a shorter call to sister Marg before being interrupted by the internet going down.
The town water was shut off sometime this afternoon. Was supposed to be out from noon to 6 pm for maintenance but was still on when we left for golf just before 3. It is still off now (9:50) so have no idea how long it will be off tomorrow. This happens often enough that houses have water reservoirs on roofs and RVers are encouraged to have water in their freshwater tanks to tide them over.

Jan 31st - Thurs - San Carlos
To use a favorite word of my Dad’s - I did a bonehead thing today. I slipped on our outside steps and sprained my ankle. I was so upset because we have reservations to go to the Copper Canyon on Saturday. I am pretty sure that will not work out. We picked this time to go so Geri could look after Dolly for us and they are leaving on Feb 7th.
We went to the bank for pesos so we could pay for our February rent in case we get to go on our trip. Hit Barracuda Bob’s for a late breakfast croissant as I did not feel much like cooking. Pat & I both had steaks for dinner so she got fresh shrimp to go along with them. Then she deep fried so much shrimp that we decided to leave the steak for tomorrow night.
I can walk on my sprained ankle but it is pretty painful to watch. As long as I don’t twist or bend my ankle it is OK so I have to take little steps with a straight leg. Rick just calls me Festus.

Feb 1st - Fri - San Carlos
Rick had another dentist appointment at 10 this morning so Pat went in on the bus to get a haircut and then meet Rick at the dentist’s office. They were going to do some things in Guaymas but Rick was in the dentist chair for 4 hours so they just ran a couple of errands on the way home.
We cancelled our hotel reservation for the Copper Canyon trip and I spent all day inside with my foot up. We had steak dinner with Pat & Rick and headed back to our place for cards and dessert. We changed Canasta partners so it was Rick & I against Terry & Pat. Rick & I won but Terry & Pat made a great comeback and nearly caught us.

Feb 2nd - Sat - San Carlos
Cloudy and cooler again today. I tried to keep my foot up with ice on my ankle. Terry visited with our neighbors and played a beanbag toss game for a bit. We went out looking for playing cards to make up a new Canasta deck - you use 6 decks. We finally found some and broke them in after dinner.
We had Rick & Pat over for dinner tonight. I bought shrimp from the fish guy - it is wonderful. I will miss being able to buy it - and right in front of the door.
Rick & I played Terry & Pat at Canasta and Rick & I won again. Too bad I can’t put the little victory “dance” in here that Rick performs.

No comments: