Friday, June 17, 2011

June 14th to 17th - 100 Mile

June 14th – Tues
We got half the wire stapled to the posts this morning and I cleaned up more debris before it was behind the fence. We put in the last 3 posts and then came in for lunch. Dad was busy hauling in more firewood.
After lunch we got the rest of the wire up including a section that we had to rescue from the scrap pile as we didn’t need enough to buy 2 rolls. Dad worked on the tailgate from the utility trailer that we removed a couple of days ago as it was falling apart. We had cut a new piece of plywood and Dad replaced the rotten wood and gave it a coat of paint. Once again a rain shower caused us to stop a little early which was OK as we were invited to Nicole & Francis’ for dinner and we had to shower and change clothes.
Nicole made very good pizza for dinner and we were joined by Marg’s neighbor Reg who fixed the tractor. When we were sitting & chatting after dinner, it rained really hard. It let up as we were leaving at 9 and there was a gorgeous rainbow for us to admire.

June 15th – Wed
It was cold and overcast this morning. We put up the metal gate in the new fence, cut down 2 more dead trees, unloaded gear from the ATV and decided it was too miserable to work outside. Terry played computer games while I did laundry and pulled out the sewing machine for some mending & alterations. Dad put a second coat of paint on the tailgate and made himself a new cane.
After lunch, I finished my sewing and made cookies. I haven’t made this recipe for several years and now I know why – it makes 8 dozen soft chocolate cookies that you sandwich with a cooked filling to end up with 4 dozen yummy cookies.
I called to say that I wouldn’t play golf this evening as it was just too cold and found out that ladies’ golf was canceled as too many women were wimping out or watching the final of the Stanley Cup. I had taken cabbage rolls out of the freezer for Terry to make for him & Dad so I had an easy dinner to prepare. Quille came over about 6 to watch the hockey game with us. I almost wished I was golfing in the cold rather than watching the Canucks get soundly beaten.

June 16th – Thurs
Terry & I finished a couple of jobs by putting up electrical tape on the new fence and on the remainder of a fence along the road. We are building an outhouse for Quille’s friend Rick so we cut plywood and left Dad working on the floor. We helped him finish it up and then took over the job as it is just too big for him. We have to build it in pieces and assemble it at his place as we couldn’t move the completed building. We are figuring it out as we go along so we just got one side done. We also got the new tailgate installed on the trailer which involved grinding off the screws on an old broken hinge, drilling new holes though metal and putting on a new hinge. Dad went back to hauling & stacking wood and is doing a great job of that.
When I was doing the chores this morning, I twisted my foot and hobbled around all day. It was swollen and pretty painful by the evening but I could walk on it.

June 17th – Fri
Dad hauled in more wood while Terry & I continued working on the outhouse. We built the 2nd side and the back and tacked it all together. After lunch, we hooked up the utility trailer and went shopping. We got some groceries, a yard of gravel/sand mix for concrete, bags of cement and paid for trusses & metal for the new shed. When we got back, we mowed the lawn in the garden area and then I talked Terry into putting 2 of the forms for footings into place for the shed.
The weather was nice today until showers late in the evening. Luckily my foot was much better this morning than last night.

No comments: