Thursday, June 23, 2011

June 21st to 23rd - 100 Mile

June 21st – Tues
We need to put a mark on the calendar – today was the only day that we can remember in the last month where there was no rain!
We decided to golf in the morning rather than wait for a possible afternoon rain shower. There were very few people on the course so we didn’t have to wait behind anyone and we had a nice round and tied again – from the blue tees. We had told Dad to make himself lunch so we stopped for a burger on the way home.
Terry built the door for the outhouse and I helped Dad fix the wagon which broke when it slipped when he was trying to get it out the door and onto his ATV. Then I helped Terry with the door before calling it a day.
I decided to put Buck & Snow to graze a small area in front of the barn so Terry helped me put up 2 gate sections. I came out through a small gate with a hook-type latch and figured it was tough enough to latch that escape artist Buck couldn’t open it. Wrong!! I checked a couple of times and they were grazing nicely but after dinner the little gate was open, Snow was nearby and Buck was nowhere to be seen. I got grain, a halter and a rope and Terry & I took off on the ATV to find Buck. He was all the way over to the neighbors – in our field – visiting their horses. We weren’t successful in catching him. Terry finally swung the rope in frustration and Buck took off and ran all the way back to the barn and was looking innocent when we caught up. It’s amazing how much extra work I can make for us!

June 22nd – Wed
Finished door, figured out door framing, blade for painting, hair cut, carpet store, bank, liquor store, hardware store, dinner al & ceciles
We finished the outhouse door and spent quite a bit of time figuring out the framing. The door is 7 feet tall and 30 inches wide (the owner Rick is 6 ft 8 inches tall so Terry didn’t want him to have to duck and the tray for the composting toilet is 25 ½ inches wide) so it takes up most of the front of the building. Terry used the tractor to bring in a blade for the tractor that needs painting and Dad started to clean it up. He didn’t want to spray paint it so I finished the clean up and did just a bit of painting since the wind was blowing and I had no desire to become John Deere green.
Terry & I worked a bit after lunch and then went to town as I needed a haircut. He couldn’t go further without some hinges so he came with me and we went to the hardware store, the bank, the liquor store and a carpet store. Marg needs new carpet but didn’t want to get it until her old cat died which she did a couple of weeks ago. I brought home a couple of carpet samples just to get her thinking about it.
We went to dinner at Al & Cecile’s. They bravely had a barbeque and the weather was great. Also there were Nicole, Francis Green, Steve & Val and Quille. We sat out & ate outside and only moved in when mosquitoes were bothering Cecile.

June 23rd – Thurs
We finally finished the front of the outhouse. Terry brought in an old plow that sits out by the entrance gate so Dad could repaint it. We had a lot of the sand/gravel mix (that we got for concrete) left over so we had to get it out of the utility trailer. We put some in bags for Francis and for Marg and then spread the rest in a low area in front of the porch and on the driveway. Terry was worn out as he had to shovel the sand to the back of the trailer first in order to lift the hitch onto the ATV.
After lunch we put line in the gas weed eater and I started picking up sheep shit in the area where we will be building the shed. I knew this would be a problem when I let the sheep graze the area but I couldn’t see the grass going to waste. I had just gotten nicely started cleaning up when it started to hail and then poured rain. We finally made a dash for the house on the ATV. I had Terry let me off at our rig and spent some time doing an overdue cleaning. Then I came in and continued cleaning in the house. Terry was playing games on the computer and Dad was doing crosswords.
Our neighbor Ralph delivered lumber (from the store that he manages) on his trailer just before we were going to eat dinner. We will use the trailer tomorrow to pick up more lumber so Terry just had him park the trailer in the barn. After dinner, Terry went out and unloaded it.

No comments: