Sunday, August 12, 2012

Aug 8th to 11th - 100 Mile House

Aug 8th – Wed –100 Mile House
Marg left very early to join a couple of friends for a 2 day stay at a resort at Crooked Lake. They took ATVs to explore the area. She took the time to check on the injured lamb and left a note that she looks good which I confirmed when I did the chores.
I caught up my blog, found some paint for Dad and swept the shop while I was out there. All this time Terry was mowing with the riding lawn mower. After lunch I was painting a window frame when I heard thunder in the distance. I had one little spot to paint so I finished in rain & hail. Terry was mowing the garden area and finally ran for shelter in the greenhouse. He finished his mowing when the heavy rainstorm passed over in a short time while I used up the paint in my pail by painting a gate.
Next I climbed up and walked on some boards that Terry put on top of the outside runs on the chicken house so I could paint the final high portion of a wall. Terry continued spiffing up the place by using the weed eater to trim and get in places too small for either mower. Dad was painting little tables in the shop.
Francis & Nichole came over just after 4 to give the injured lamb a penicillin shot as giving shots is something that I don’t want to learn.
After dinner I baked a large batch of cookies.

Aug 9th – Thurs
The weather was perfect today– sunny but not as hot as it has been.
After breakfast, Terry & I made a trip to town for some groceries. Then Terry mowed the final corral with the riding mower and I climbed up on the boards again to paint the last window frame on the chicken house. Now we could put the boards away and straighten up the lumber that was displaced to get the boards and to paint behind the stack. I had Terry lift me in the bucket on the tractor to give a fascia board a second coat of paint and I am calling the chicken house DONE!
After lunch I washed windows. I couldn’t reach one window with the long extension pole so Terry had to get the tractor and give me a lift again – should have thought about it when the tractor was out earlier. Terry put the awning out on the 5thwheel and we washed the underside which still had Alaska dirt on it. Then we went inside and did some sorting, cleaning and tossing out until I remembered that I had some frozen dough buns rising and had to bake them. They certainly were light & fluffy!
Francis & Nicole came over again for the penicillin injection but this time I had invited them to stay for dinner. We cooked some of the salmon that Terry caught in Valdez and introduced them to 321 cake for dessert which we jazzed up a bit by adding a few of the wild raspberries that we picked.

Aug 10th – Fri
I worked on the blog and did housecleaning this morning. Terry was kind of at loose ends as there was no more mowing to do so he puttered around and sat in the sun with Dad a lot.
In the afternoon we gathered up garbage and made a run to the dump. Marg and her friends returned late in the afternoon. When we went to feed the injured lamb, we untied the t-shirt coverings and found the wounds healing quite well. Marg put on more ointment and tied everything back up.
There was leftover pulled pork for dinner so we just had to add a salad for almost no work at all.

Aug 11th – Sat
Marg and I went to town this morning for groceries and a couple of other errands. When we returned, Terry told us that Dad’s ATV had died. Marg worked on it a bit and then Terry towed it to a parking spot. By the time we put everything away it was time for lunch which we enjoyed outside on the picnic table. We are hosting a birthday party for our friend Cecile today so we hung balloons & a banner, put on tablecloths and put together a veggie plate.
At 2 the first people arrived and added more decorations. The attendees were a mix of mutual friends and Cecile’s relatives from out of town. Relatives: husband Al, daughter Jean, sister Marie & her grandson Joe, son Mike with wife Sue and their daughters Katherine & Jen with boyfriend Dallas & roommate Yota who is an exchange student from Japan, daughter TD and husband Brian. Friends: Francis & Nichole, Steve, Gord& Jerri, Frances & daughter Donna, Toni & Micheal, Jane & daughter Alisha, Sharon, Herb & Pat and of course the 4 of us.
The weather was perfectly sunny with a light breeze to blow & pop the balloons. A few of hours of snacking, drinking & talking were followed by hamburgers on the BBQ with all the trimmings & salads brought by everyone. When the sun went down and it started to cool off, a fire was lit for warmth & atmosphere. Everyone was gone by 9:30 so we cleaned up a bit and crashed.

No comments: