Friday, January 04, 2013

Jan 2nd to 4th - Mesa

Jan 2nd – Wed
We got up REALLY early this morning and were at the ballroom at 5:10 to line up to buy tickets for 2 dances in January and one in February.  And we were not the first people in line – there were 4 ahead of us!  Our ballroom is too small for the number of people in the park so if you want tickets at a table with friends you have to go through this routine each month.  One of the dances sold out today and the others have scattered tickets available.  You are supposed to only be able to buy 2 tickets per site and can buy 2 tickets for friends if you have their name badge.  Terry & I cheated and we each got 4 tickets for all the dances.  Now we have 3 couples who are “indebted” to us and can line up early for February and March!!  I forgot to mention that the activity office does not open until 8 so we had 3 hours to chat with a lot of other dance-a-holics!
We had a bowl of cereal when we got back and Terry had a catnap in his chair. 
We took Ron & Terri to Costco to buy a battery for their car but Costco does not carry the right one.  So we stopped at Sears and they got one there.  We dropped them off and then went out for diesel & some groceries and grabbed a burger.  I browned up some meat that had been in the freezer long enough and put a stew in the crock pot as it was a cool, breezy day suited for stew.
Just before 3 we walked to the hair salon so I could make an appointment to get my hair cut and then Terry went to listen to music in the courtyard while I went for a walk.  When I got back to the courtyard, I found that it was cool enough that the music had been moved into the ballroom so I went home and changed into shoes that are better for dancing than sneakers.  Again, with courtyard music moved indoors, there is a lot of line dancing so we were able to practice.
Ron & Terri came over for a drink before we had dinner.  Terry was in bed very early and I stayed up to finish watching a TV show and was in bed fairly early as well.

Jan 3rd – Thurs
Terry left at 7:50 to play golf.  I spent time on the computer with emails & the blog before I vacuumed and cleaned up some spots on the carpet.
At 11, I went with Terri to pick up Bob & Darlene at the Mesa airport.  On the way back, Bob took us all for lunch at Fat Willy’s where shared Rueben sandwiches were very good and the perfect amount of food.  I searched for recipes on the internet and then went for a walk.  I got back just as Terry & Ron returned from golf which was made more challenging by a lot of wind.
Dennis & Gloria rode by on their bikes and stopped to visit with Moe & Trish so we joined them to chat for a while.
At 3 we went to listen to music in the courtyard which was outside and it was actually quite nice sitting in the sunshine.  We ended up with 2 tables with men at one and the ladies at the other which made for non-stop talk & laughter.  The music was not the best for dancing so we didn’t feel light we missed out on anything.
When the music finished at 5, we went right over to Ron & Terri’s for dinner with Bob & Darlene.  Ron cooked a small turkey on the BBQ and it was very good.  After great food, too much drink and more laughs, we headed home about 11.

Jan 4th – Fri – HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARG & ERNIE
After calling sister Marg to wish her a Happy Birthday, we went to get a few groceries so I could make some cookies.  I told Julie that I would make a birthday cake for Ernie and decided to make filled chocolate cookies and put a letter on each cookie.  The batch makes 4 dozen “sandwiches” and each cookie sheet held 12 cookies so I had to bake 8 pans of cookies.  But it turned out really well and on a second pan of completed cookies I wrote a farewell message for Jerry & Becky.  I also made devilled eggs for the get together at Larry & Julie’s.
We took the cookies over about 2:30 and found that Julie was not doing very well with her breathing so we came back for the eggs & a bottle of wine and walked back.  I helped Julie with the last of her appetizers and everyone started arriving.  We had scads of food and everyone enjoyed the cookies.
We all cleaned everything up and left shortly after 5 so Julie could go to the hospital to get her breathing under control.  She should have cancelled the party but she absolutely hates to miss out on anything!!!  She called later to say that she had to stay overnight in the hospital for tests.
We went to Moe & Trish’s for another drink and came home just before 8.  I heated up some leftover stew for a light dinner and we had to drive to Larry & Julie’s to get our camera that I forgot on a table.  And so ends another busy day.

No comments: