Sunday, January 06, 2008

Jan 4th & 5th - San Carlos

Jan 4th - Fri - San Carlos
The cooking class went by bus to the Ley (grocery store) in Guaymas today to buy cheeses. Maria (cooking teacher) also helped us decipher the many types of tequila found in the Ley. Before we went shopping, I had Maria talk to the hairdresser who cut my hair when we first arrived as I needed another haircut but did not know how to instruct the stylist. After shopping, when other women were enjoying coffee, Pat & I both got haircuts. Then Margo, Pat & I walked and shopped further downtown until we arrived at our lunch destination near the harbor. We had a very nice lunch, walked & shopped part way back and then caught the bus back to the RV park. We arrived back just in time for the 3:30 cheese tasting. We tasted 8 cheeses and I think I would only buy 2 of them.
Terry & Dave went clamming while we were gone and got half a bucket of clams. They were not smart enough to stop somewhere for lunch so they went for a hamburger while we were tasting cheese. Rick has a cold so he is taking it easy.
We taught Margo to play Canasta as Margo & Terry played against Pat and me. We each won one game before calling it a night at 10:30.

Jan 5th - Sat - San Carlos
Rick & Pat and we went shopping for some “lot warming” gifts for our friends (Steve & Linda, Craig & Cathy and Bill & Tammy) who are setting up their RV sites on 2 lots and then we delivered the gifts. It was half past lunch time according to Rick’s stomach so Steve & Craig joined us for hot dogs at El Cheque which is a little place on the main street of San Carlos. The guy wraps bacon around the hot dogs before grilling them and the buns are baked in a bakery right next door. We had a large, late breakfast so I just ate a goodie from the bakery but the hot dogs looked good. Pat & I walked to Tony’s (produce stand) for a few items.
Pat made tempura (deep fried) prawns and zucchini for happy hour and I made guacamole. Unfortunately for Dave & Margo, they were having too much fun drinking beer on the beach and didn’t get back until all the prawns & zucchini were gone. “The girls” played Canasta after happy hour and made the guys fend for themselves. Pat & I won but I made the game a lot closer by making a stupid mistake! Oh well!
The weather is warming up during the day but still cool in the evenings.

No comments: