Saturday, May 22, 2010

May 19th to 22nd - 100 Mile House

May 19th – Wed – 100 Mile House
Marg has a satellite internet system with a router for me to use when I am here. My connection has been pretty slow this year and really slow today so we started some troubleshooting. We spoke with an internet rep, did some tests and discovered that the problem is Marg’s computer.
We all went shopping for a new utility trailer, had lunch in town and bought fiberglass panels to replace discolored, peeling panels on Marg’s greenhouse. I made dinner for Terry to heat for him & Dad tonight and Marg worked in the garden.
Marg & I played golf with the ladies league this evening. We got behind a slow, beginners group which was very frustrating for a couple holes until they let us play through. I actually won a prize and selected a big box of candles to use in buddy burners. Marg & I tied with much better scores than last week. It was quite cold & windy all day and we had to wear jackets for golf.

May 20th – Thurs – 100 Mile House
We spent the morning trying to find out why Marg’s computer is so slow when connected to the internet. I downloaded a couple of spyware programs and installed them on her computer but then they could not get an update before running. Ended up getting one to run and then changed a setting so her internet access is quicker but have to do some more work.
After lunch, Marg, Terry & I went out to cut up a couple of trees that fell across a fence. They were poplars with crooked branches so made nasty, open burn piles. Terry still has a problem breathing with any exertion and of course he cannot do anything halfway so spent a lot of time trying to catch his breath. After sharpening the chain saw, Marg & I sent Terry to the house and went out to check another fence line. We ended up cutting up some more branches and built two more burn piles.
Terry & Dad played cribbage after dinner, Marg played games on the computer and I read.

May 21st – Fri – 100 Mile House
We all went to the Farmer’s Market this morning. There was old-time music today which Dad loves so we left him there after a while and went shopping – groceries, pharmacy, liquor store, gas tanks & post office. After unloading everything, I made lunch for Terry & Dad while Marg ran a couple of errands.
Marg & her friend Toni are going camping/fishing for the long weekend so we all pitched in to get things ready. Marg put her 4-wheeler on a small trailer and towed it with her motor home while Toni pulled the aluminum boat with the pontoon boat on top. Toni is actually only staying one night and then Quille will join Marg on Sunday. Their little parade pulled out of here about 3.
I was not feeling really well so took the opportunity to lie on the couch and read and feel sorry for myself. Terry has loaded a game (Jewel Quest) on our computer and spent hours playing it.
I remembered to lock the sheep in tonight as they will be using a new pasture tomorrow.

May 22nd – Sat – 100 Mile House
Somehow a lamb was in the wrong spot and baaaaad all night with answering baas from mom. At 4 I was wide awake and remembered that I had to close a couple of gates before letting the sheep out. There was a dog house on the back of the ATV that had to be unloaded so Terry said he would help me “later”. At 5:45 I could not stand the baaing any longer so we got up, unloaded the dog house, closed gates, opened a gate and got mud splashed all over my pants from the ATV. It was cold and raining so we turned up the heat and crawled back into bed.
I was feeling even worse than yesterday so not much got done today either. Dad had a couple of hens sitting on eggs and 2 chicks hatched a few days ago. Marg & I had made a night raid to move mom & babies to a separate room in the chicken house. This morning, the other hen had 2 chicks (bad result from 6 eggs each) and Dad figured the first hen would steal the new chicks so we had to figure out a way to keep them separated. I found a cage so we got them all set up.
Then a repeat of yesterday with me reading & dozing, Dad doing crosswords and dozing and Terry playing games on the computer.
Snow fell fairly heavily for a while today but didn’t stick. Then rain off & on which is good as everything is very dry here. Marg probably doesn’t agree with that today as the fishing would have been pretty cold.

No comments: